POST OP INSTRUCTIONS
Congratulations! You have completed your cataract surgery.
It is normal to have the following symptoms: Watering eyes & nose, light sensitivity, redness and swelling of eye, a foreign body sensation or the feeling that something is in your eye. Vision may be foggy like seeing under water.
We recommend going home, relaxing and sleeping for rest of the day. Your eyes will feel most comfortable when closed. The next day you may shower and bathe in a tub but avoid getting any water or soap in the operated eye.
If you are having pain or discomfort you may take Tylenol, Advil or any non-aspirin analgesic.
For faster healing and recovery:
1. DO NOT RUB OR TOUCH YOUR EYES. Do not dab the eyes. Your eyes are numb after surgery.
2. If your eyes are watering, let the tears come to below your cheek bones before patting them away.
3. Wear the dark sunglasses provided when you are outside for the first few days.
4. The orange tinted glasses are for nighttime driving to help reduce any glare or halos.
5. Wear your eye shield taped down during the day after surgery and sleep with it on the first night. You may remove the shield the next day, but continue to wear it to bed for 2 more nights after surgery. This will prevent accidental rubbing while sleeping.
6.When you get up from sleeping, if your eyes are difficult to open DO NOT force them open. Apply a warm compress for few minutes and gently try again. If it’s still difficult, wait to see your doctor for him to open the eye.
PLEASE AVOID THE FOLLOWING
1. All water activities such as swimming, hot tubs & scuba diving for 2 weeks.
2. Avoid direct sunlight & sunbathing for 2 weeks (when outside be sure to wear sunglasses)
3. Avoid touching the eye dropper bottle to your eye when instilling your eye drops.
4. Do not stop drops without asking the doctor first, make sure to wait 2 minutes in between drops.
EYE DROP INSTRUCTIONS
Antibiotic drop – continue using after surgery. 1 drop in operated eye(s) 4 times a day for 5 days.
Steroid drop – begin using after surgery. 1 drop in operated eye(s) 4 times a day for 7 days, 3 times a day for 7 days, 2 times a day for 7 days and finally 1 time a day for 7 days.
NSAID drop – begin using after surgery. 1 drop in operated eye(s) 2 times a day for 7 days then 1 time a day for 7 days.
**Combo drop (yellow cap) – continue to use after surgery. 1 drop in operated eye(s) 4 times a day for 7 days, 3 times a day for 7 days, 2 times a day for 7 days and finally 1 time a day for 7 days.